McCain Claims Massive Cover-Up of Benghazi Attack

0
By Myles Collier, Christian Post Contributor
February 18, 2013|1:54 pm

During his appearance on NBC's "Meet the Press," Arizona Senator John McCain hinted that President Obama and officials in the intelligence community orchestrated a massive cover up over the incidents surrounding the Benghazi terrorist attack.

McCain has been a vocal critic of the president and other government officials in their handling of the attack that killed four Americans on Sept. 11 of last year.

"The information has not been forthcoming," McCain explained during the Sunday morning talk show. "I know that it hasn't, and I will be glad to send you a list of questions that have not been answered."

United Nations ambassador Susan Rice had been targeted by congressional members on both sides of the aisle after she made the rounds on several cable news programs just days after the attack. At the time, she claimed the attack was spurred by a controversial video uploaded to YouTube involving the prophet Muhammad.

This was later proved to be factually wrong and proved to be the catalyst that has led to such a strong demand for the truth.

"They would have known that it was not a spontaneous demonstration," McCain said in reference to Rice's explanations during her interview with several news outlets.

Follow us

It later was revealed that those answers were inaccurate and misleading after officials with the Central Intelligence Agency and State Department admitted that talking points given to Rice before her appearances were altered. The government's internal investigation continues.

That development has led some lawmakers to believe that the President was withholding information withheld from the American public.

"Why did the President … for two weeks, during the heat of the campaign, continue to say he didn't know whether it was a terrorist attack or not?" McCain said.

"Is it because it interfered with the line of 'al Qaeda is decimated and everything is fine in that part of the world'? Maybe. We don't know. But we need the answers. Then we'll reach conclusions. But we have not received the answers, and that's a fact," he added.

The Arizona Republican has been one of the more vocal critics against the Obama administration's handling of the attack, and has insisted that an independent congressional committee be convened to investigate the incident.

Advertisement