Maui Shark Attack 2013: Second Attack in Four Days Forces Officials to Close Beaches to Calm Nerves

0
By Myles Collier , Christian Post Contributor
August 5, 2013|8:52 am

After the second shark attack in four days officials in Hawaii have closed several beaches and are warning would-be swimmers to use caution when in the water.

  • shark
    (Photo: Reuters/Mike Hutchings)
    A Great White Shark swims past a diving cage off Gansbaai about 200 kilometres east of Cape Town.

The second shark attack victim was described as a woman in her 30's and was bitten during swimming activities taking place roughly 30 feet from the shoreline at rocky point at Ulua Beach Park on Maui.

Clarence Yamamoto, Maui chief for The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) would not reveal the extent of her injuries, but told The Maui News that she had been able to swim to shore after the attack.

Other reports stated that the victim was bitten on her upper torso but sustained no other injuries, according to Honolulu based KHNL .

MORE - CLICK HERE FOR RELATED VIDEO ON LATEST SHOCKING SHARK ATTACK

Yamamoto was not able to provide an accurate estimate of the shark species involved in the attack due to the cloudiness of the water during the attack which led to the victim's limited visibility.

Follow us

In response, authorities then closed the beaches from Polo Beach Park to the Mana Kai Maui Resort in the Kihei-Wailea area.

The first shark attack victim was 19-year-old Kiowa Gatewood who was surfing off Oahu's White Plains Beach, Sunday afternoon.

Kiowa told local media that while he was surfing he saw what he thought looked like a tiger shark.

"I was sitting on my board, when all of a sudden I saw this shark come out of the water and grabbed my leg," the 19-year-old told KHNL. "From there, I had this instinct to like, hit it with my left hand and then it let go and turned around and swam away."

Doctors felt confident he would be able to make a full recovery after undergoing surgery on his left knee and upper calf.

[VIDEO] - UPDATE: OFFICIALS HAVE NOW REOPENED THE BEACH FOLLOWING THE SHARK ATTACK - SEE VIDEO REPORT BY CLICKING HERE


Advertisement