Brothers Win Lottery, Blow Up House by Accident With Methamphetamines

0
By Brittney R. Villalva, Christian Post Reporter
February 18, 2013|4:14 pm

Brothers who just discovered that they had won a $75,000 jackpot on a Kansas scratch off accidentally blew up their house Friday while celebrating with drugs.

Authorities responded to a home explosion in Wichita, Kansas on Friday to discover that drugs were the cause of the blast. The two men were allegedly celebrating with marijuana and methamphetamines after discovering that they had won money on a lottery scratch off.

One of the brothers, 27, was taken to the hospital where he sustained second-degree burns and is now in serious but stable condition according to the Wichita Eagle.

Wichita police Sgt. Bruce Watts told the paper that the incident occurred after the brothers accidentally leaked butane fluid into the air.

"The butane vapor reached the pilot light in the furnace, and as you might expect, ka-boom," Watts told the newspaper.

The injured brother was taken to the hospital by his girlfriend; he was wearing a lotto shirt at the time of the blast, reports said.

Follow us

"The victim's girlfriend loaded him and some children into a car and took him to the Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis emergency room, where she dropped him off and left," the Eagle reported.

The second brother was arrested after authorities arrived at the house and he confessed to having purchased the drugs.

"Officers went to the house with a warrant, where the other brother ran out, admitting he had marijuana and methamphetamine. He was arrested," the paper added.

The brothers had planned to use the butane torches to light their bongs, officials said.

Advertisement